View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0001502||Main CAcert Website||web of trust||public||2021-01-13 16:05||2021-02-03 13:09|
|Product Version||2015 Q3|
|Summary||0001502: Website CAcert.org should be more user friendly|
|Description||Many question for Support team concern few problems.|
#1 - a common user is trying to get a client certificate e. g. for e-mail security. When s/he uses browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari etc,, s/he sees the following error message (roughly): No valid CSR received. Try another browser. The Wiki articles exist with solutions of just this. Will it be possible to add a link to the specific Wiki article?
The most frequent questions to Support:
. My browser is unable to create and submit CSR, (Wiki: https://wiki.cacert.org/HowTo/ClientCertCreate4)
- I am unable to renew my certificate (Wiki: https://wiki.cacert.org/FAQ/CertificateRenewal)
- My system reports the private key needed, where to find it (Wiki: https://wiki.cacert.org/FAQ/MissingPrivateKey)
- How to convert binary P10 formatted CSR to Base64 format (Wiki: https://wiki.cacert.org/HowTo/CertP10toBase64Coding)
- Digital signing of documents (e.g. Wiki: https://wiki.cacert.org/AdobeReader and more)
...and several other.
|Steps To Reproduce||Try to make a client cert via Firefox browser. Look at the error message. The Wiki articles solving this are https://wiki.cacert.org/FAQ/Keygen, and https://wiki.cacert.org/HowTo/ClientCertCreate4|
|Tags||browser, Wiki, WoT|
Proposal for a quick but efficient fix.
It might look like that (consensus with Aleš and Dirk):
* change as least as possible the text of the UI, in order to avoid to change it in many langages at once
* make the checkbox "Show advanced options" checked by default (please see attached screenshot)
* add a default explanation text in the CSR input field (text box) where the CSR has to be pasted
* such a text might look like that:
"Please pay attention that Certificate Signing Request is not optional anymore. It is mandatory to copy and paste a CSR into this box. The certificate generation won't work in case you do not provide a CSR. Please clear this text and paste your CSR here."
* ideally, such text should be in written grey, in the background of the CSR input field, then disapear by itself as soon as the user pastes a CSR or type any character in the input box.
|2021-01-13 16:05||alkas||New Issue|
|2021-01-13 16:05||alkas||Tag Attached: browser|
|2021-01-13 16:05||alkas||Tag Attached: Wiki|
|2021-01-13 16:05||alkas||Tag Attached: WoT|
|2021-02-03 13:09||Golffies||Note Added: 0005956|
|2021-02-03 13:09||Golffies||File Added: Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 13.58.14.png|